China Legal Coverage Lawyer (Shanghai-based)
- 上海, 上海市, 中国 上海 上海市 CN
- Morgan Stanley
- 2018-03-24 2018-03-24
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley’s Legal and Compliance Division helps preserve the Firm’s invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the Firm from sanctions with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world while maintaining cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the Firm’s businesses.
The Greater China Legal Coverage Group currently seeks a Shanghai-based lawyer to be a critical member of this team to provide legal coverage for the entire jurisdiction across all of Morgan Stanley’s business lines – from the institutional securities business to the investment management business to the wealth management business. This lawyer will report directly to Shanghai-based Greater China Head of Legal with key responsibilities as follows:
• Provide legal advice on all PRC-related legal, compliance and regulatory issues across all business lines and all onshore/offshore platforms.
• With the assistance of external counsels and local Compliance teams, provide advice and assistance on the Firm’s legal matters relating to its business in Taiwan.
• Work on platform expansion initiatives/transactions relating to the Firm’s franchise in China, including building/investing into joint ventures and wholly-owned subsidiaries, applying for new licenses, etc.
• Work alongside Compliance to build and maintain regulatory relationship with the Firm’s regulators in different locations and for different businesses.
• Provide advice on franchise risk protection.
- PRC qualified lawyer plus qualification from a common law jurisdiction (e.g., US, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia).
- At least 6 years of post-qualification experience preferably at a top tier international or PRC law firm, or a leading financial institution in China.
- Solid legal advisory experience in China-related transactions in the financial services industry
- Practical knowledge of PRC laws and regulations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (including legal drafting) in English and Mandarin (Simplified Chinese), fluency in Cantonese advantageous.
- Presentable and proactive team player with flexibility and attention to detail.