Tax Associate, Shanghai
- 上海, 上海市, 中国 上海 上海市 CN
- Morgan Stanley
- 2018-04-24 2018-04-24
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 42 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to Firmwide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Tax Department reports to the Deputy Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 200 employees worldwide. The Tax Department is responsible for global tax compliance, tax accounting, business unit tax advice and tax planning for the Firm.
Within the Finance Division, the Indirect Tax Group manages the Firm's global VAT/GST compliance and advisory functions from London, Budapest, Shanghai and Sydney. The Group advises on product specific issues as well as prepares, reviews and/or advises on returns for entities in over 30 countries.
Reporting to the Vice President, this role is for an Associate to provide indirect tax support to Morgan Stanley companies throughout Asia Pacific, Japan and the Americas.
- Provide compliance support / preparation of indirect tax returns in various jurisdictions;
- Review and advise on indirect tax compliance issues as necessary, including systems audits, systems design and implementation, and process streamlining;
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations;
- Manage country and product-specific VAT/GST issues;
- Manage global and regional relationships with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Provide training to relevant teams on indirect tax issues;
- Liaise globally with Tax authorities for submission of returns and follow up queries;
- Apply the rules and regulations of the various tax authorities related to documentation requirements;
- Ensure processes/documentation is current;
- Assist with value-added projects designed to streamline processes and/or reclaims.
- Advise on product-specific indirect tax issues, including Investment Banking, Equity, Fixed Income, Asset Management, Prime Brokerage, Private Equity, and Commodities;
- Analyse and advise on the indirect tax consequences of transfer pricing.
REQUIRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- 3 year above indirect tax experience, preferably within Big 4 or the Financial Services industry;
- Working towards or completed CPA/RTA, or equivalent;
- Strong organizational / communication skills given the demanding deadlines within multiple jurisdictions.
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills.