- Beijing, Beijing Shi, China Beijing Beijing Shi CN
- Not specified
- S&P Global
- 21 Jul 18 2018-07-21
The Role: Senior Research Analyst (China)
The Location: China - Shanghai
The Business: S&P Global Platts, Metals, Analytics.
The Impact: Works closely with internal and external stakeholders to provide thought leadership, analysis and editorial content to S&P Global Platts products. Maintains strong relationships with industry participants both for primary research and as a thought leader. You will also be responsible for analyzing individual and interlinked physical and financial commodities markets, performing trend analysis, synthesizing a variety of proprietary and third party data sets and models. Analysts provide research to support metals analytics, editorial content and other investment professionals and/or clients. Conducts technical analysis on iron ore, coking coal and steel markets and formulates anticipated changes in commodities markets, as well as industry and commodity price trends, on the basis of technical aspects of market and price behavior.
What's in it for you: Platts is focused on building a world class analytics offering which will provides excellent career growth potential in a team focused on metals, particularly steel and raw materials.
1. Data collection, maintenance and validation
- Collects fundamental, technical, economic, financial, and/or market sector information, conducts market sector or statistical analysis
- Primary iron ore and steel industry research including regular communications with industry participants
- Identify and pursue opportunities to collect proprietary data sets
- Keeping abreast of current industry news, trends and sentiment through industry news channels
- Further implementing innovative ways to provide high quality data and analysis to the industry
- Seeks new sources of industry knowledge
2. Research & Analytics
- Interpret key market data elements into useful business information.
- Generate useful analytical insight using Platts data and tools. Answer industry related questions. Test relevant hypothesis.
- Collate and prepare insight for use in conferences presentations, publication of thought leadership research notes, webinars, one-on-one client meetings and other innovative delivery means.
- Continually seek professional development opportunities through attending industry conferences, relevant reading, and regular contact with market participants.
- Deliver quality data and expertly present our analysis in written form, graphically and verbally in both formal and informal settings.
3. Product innovation & development
Key responsibilities are to design tools and content which:
- Enable market participants to answer their own questions
- Enable market players to save time through innovative analytical tools
- Enable market players to make quick, informed decisions to maximize their productivity and take advantage of opportunities
What we're looking for:
- BA/BSc or equivalent ideally in economics, business or relevant science
- Knowledge of the metals industry and enthusiasm for understanding and investigating global commodities markets
- Excellent analytical skills with a questioning mind and exceptional attention to detail
- Proactive and innovative, confident communicator both written and verbal
- Ability to interact with internal and external customers including public speaking experience
- High level of fluency with MS Excel is essential, and other relevant statistical or analytical packages desirable including Tableau. Computer literate and eager to try innovative software platforms
- Fluency in Mandarin Chinese and English, additional language skills would be a bonus
- Prior steel/iron ore/coal industry experience and contacts would be highly regarded