Tax Department, Vice President, Beijing/Shanghai
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
A team of professionals based in Bengaluru, Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, and Tokyo serves the firm's Asia Pacific tax requirements. This team comprises both accountants and lawyers and is responsible for all aspects of the firm's tax affairs in the region, including advising the various businesses, structuring, managing and overseeing compliance, internal tax planning, supervision of tax-related accounting and operations, as well as advising on remuneration design and employee tax matters.
Goldman Sachs seeks a Vice President based in Beijing/Shanghai to be responsible for China tax matters for its tax department reporting to the China Head of Tax.
The role requires a hands-on approach and is likely to be suitable for a candidate who has significant in-house China experience in the financial sector or potentially an outstanding candidate with industry experience within a large accounting firm. The successful candidate will have detailed knowledge of the Chinese tax regime for purposes of both tax compliance and tax planning, and in particular the management of cross-border firm and private equity fund's investment transactions in the Chinese context. The tax function within Goldman Sachs is highly integrated with other supporting departments such as Finance, Operations, Legal and Compliance, and the tax department role therefore requires extensive interaction with internal stakeholders, as well as the ability to deal with front-office teams and the firm's senior management. RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS RESPONSIBILITIES Supporting the following functions together with other members of China Tax Department:
- Providing leadership and guidance on complex cross-border investing transactions involving Chinese, offshore, Fund and principal investors;
- Familiarity and experience with non-tax issues involved in cross-border investing in China, such as foreign exchange and banking regulatory issues;
- Advising various businesses on transactions and products including: Investment Management Division (Private Wealth Management and Asset Management); Investment Banking; Merchant Bank/Special Situations Group; and Global Markets Division;
- Advising on changes in tax laws and regulations, and providing ad hoc advice and assistance to front, middle and back offices;
- Advising on internal reorganizations, remuneration and executive/ employee tax matters;
- Management of China transfer pricing matters, and direct and indirect tax compliance including working with local advisors/Controllers on return preparation and review of tax accruals;
- Interaction with Chinese tax authorities directly or via local advisors as appropriate on correspondence, queries, audits and rulings; and
- General guidance and communication with China leadership, regional management and Tax Division leadership on the overall management of China tax matters.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
- Experience with China financial sector tax issues gained from working with a financial institution, large accounting firm or law firm;
- Ability to learn quickly and take responsibility, high integrity and reliability;
- Ability to work effectively in a team within or outside of Tax department;
- Ability to operate independently in confidence under stressful circumstances;
- Strong control awareness and ability to take a global view on issues; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Chinese.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We're committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers .
We're committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https:// www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2021. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity