Consumer & Wealth Management Division, Legal Counsel, Vice President, Shanghai
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB ABOUT US
Goldman Sachs is a leading global financial services firm providing investment banking, securities and investment management services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals.
Private Wealth Management (PWM) is part of the Consumer and Wealth Management Division of Goldman Sachs. PWM provides a comprehensive range of investment services, including discretionary investment management, investment advice, brokerage services and lending, to wealthy individuals and families worldwide, across a diversified range of asset classes.
Goldman Sachs' Legal Division works at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across Goldman Sachs, including PWM. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you are an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you. ABOUT YOU
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, proactive and robust candidate who is interested in a broad, challenging and rewarding role. The role requires the ability to work independently from day one and to manage a diverse and complex workload meeting tight deadlines. Lawyers in our team work closely with a diverse group of clients across the PWM business and thrive on the pressures of delivering consistently high quality advice to a dynamic and constantly evolving business. RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS H OW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
We are looking for an attorney to provide legal support to the growing China PWM Business. Candidates should be familiar with the legal and regulatory environment around the financial markets industry in China, particularly the asset management sector.
The role will cover:
- Providing legal and regulatory advice on a broad range of issues affecting PWM's business, including new product issuance, distribution of financial products, establishing new entities and obtaining new licenses, and ongoing regulatory requirements of CSRC regulated brokers and AMAC regulated asset managers.
- Assisting with client facing and other external legal communications, product documentation and all other legal/contractual arrangements related to PWM's businesses.
- Assisting to design, review and implement processes as required to respond to client needs and regulatory change.
- Advising and liaising with PWM compliance professionals on a wide range of issues, such as interpretation of regulations, regulatory matters and investigations.
- Managing and supervising external counsels to obtain good quality external legal advice.
- Representing the firm in meetings and communication with various regulators, including participation in onsite regulatory inspections.
- Liaising with other lawyers in the Goldman Sachs Legal Division globally in relation to specific products or other issues.
The role will be based in Shanghai.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
- PRC or overseas licensed lawyer, with 7-10+ years' related legal experience in a reputable law firm, asset management firm or investment bank
- Solid work experience dealing with legal and regulatory issues associated with the financial industry in China, particularly in asset management
- Native level expertise in Mandarin, business level fluency in English
- Outstanding law firm and law school credentials
- General knowledge and familiarity with asset management regulations and fund structures/documentation in US/EMEA is preferred (but not a pre-requisite)
- High level of initiative, integrity, organization and commercial instincts
- Adept at developing interpersonal relationships, great team player
- Ability to think broadly and respond quickly when incidents arise and to engage appropriate stakeholders
- Superior analytical and decision-making skills
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Committed, self-motivated and proactive, with a desire to succeed