Equity Portfolio Manager, China (A-share)
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
We are currently seeking to recruit a China Equity Portfolio Manager to help shape and build our footprint in the local China market. Located in Shanghai, the successful candidate will develop an investment approach for the onshore China market using his/her own research ideas and ideas offered by the firms other investors.
This is an entrepreneurial opportunity to build and manage a fund within a successful global investment management firm and ultimately help build and drive our business in China.
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Investment acumen and passion - You will have a deep understanding of the China equity market, identify mispricing and valuation discrepancies, make investment recommendations/decisions and communicate perspectives with other Wellington Emerging Markets and global equity PMs, who manage portfolios on behalf of our clients. The ideal candidate will understand the Chinese equity market structure and be passionate about investing with a demonstrated track record of successful investments. S/he must exhibit a highly analytical and detailed approach within the context of overall portfolio philosophy and process.
- Superior collaboration and influencing skills - The successful candidate will enjoy working with a highly collaborative team and embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of company coverage, investment discussions and portfolio construction and risk management. S/he will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues and externally with company management teams. The ability to respectably challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; s/he must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action oriented opinions clearly and with conviction and contribute to an open investment dialogue is important. This individual should also look to attract high caliber talent to join the team.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. S/he will have both a local and global perspective as well as a creative approach for thinking about innovation and the continuing evolution of Chinese and global capital markets.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- A minimum of 15 years of industry experience and 5 years as a Portfolio Manager with a competitive track record in that role.
- Experience managing A-Share only portfolios
- Strong bottom-up fundamental approach to research
- Strong Investment philosophy and process supported by rigorous analysis
- Intellectual curiosity and comfort taking risks
- Self-awareness and self-confidence to be comfortable "being wrong"
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and experience in a collaborative, team-based, results-oriented environment
- Experience interfacing with clients and prospects in an institutional environment
- Must speak, read and write fluent English and Mandarin Chinese
- Strong academic credentials, MBA/CFA preferred.
- Knowledge of the China Regulatory Landscape will be beneficial
Equity Portfolio Manager, China (A-share) LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .