Unix System Engineer
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
ENGINEERING What We Do
At Goldman Sachs, our Engineers don't just make things - we make things possible. Change the world by connecting people and capital with ideas. Solve the most challenging and pressing engineering problems for our clients. Join our engineering teams that build massively scalable software and systems, architect low latency infrastructure solutions, proactively guard against cyber threats, and leverage machine learning alongside financial engineering to continuously turn data into action. Create new businesses, transform finance, and explore a world of opportunity at the speed of markets .
Engineering, which is comprised of our Technology Division and global strategists groups, is at the critical center of our business, and our dynamic environment requires innovative strategic thinking and immediate, real solutions. Want to push the limit of digital possibilities? Start here. Who We Look For
Goldman Sachs Engineers are innovators and problem-solvers, building solutions in risk management, big data, mobile and more. We look for creative collaborators who evolve, adapt to change and thrive in a fast-paced global environment. YOUR IMPACT
Unix Engineering is a global team that architects and manages the Linux, Virtualization, and Server Hardware computing platform at Goldman Sachs. The Unix engineering team works closely with application developers and strategists to build and deploy technology solutions at Goldman Sachs. The team currently supports an internal cloud platform, is developing solutions for deploying applications on public cloud offerings, and is releasing a next-generation compute platform. The Linux System Engineer role is responsible for supporting business units' compute requirements and maintaining core infrastructure systems. This includes topics such as system configuration management, performance testing and tuning, and application and service troubleshooting. Linux System Engineers also delve into new technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, SaltStack, OpenShift and more), understanding how each can be introduced and engineered to support the continued evolution of our highly-scalable compute platform. RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Interact with internal clients and engineering teams to ensure compute solutions satisfy the requirements of the Gao Hua businesses and China regulations including but not limited to usability, productivity and controls
- Own and engineer the Linux compute platform at the firm
- Write tooling to automate tasks and implement/scale/test infrastructure services
- Help evolve and integrate newer stack components like Kubernetes, OpenStack and more
- Work closely with 1st- and 2nd-level organizations to perform deeply technical troubleshooting
- Develop and implement technical solutions and process improvements to improve reliability and efficiency
- Hands-on experience with architecture, implementation and operation of a Linux-based compute environment
- In-depth knowledge of the Linux OS, advanced network concepts, knowledge of traditional storage platforms, firewalls, and load balancers
- Significant experience using system configuration management tools (e.g. Chef, Ansible, SaltStack, Puppet, cfengine, etc.) to manage compute infrastructure at scale
- Demonstrable experience in setting and meeting project goals when implementing and integrating complex technology concepts
- Expertise in at least one scripting and/or high level language: shell, Python, Node.js, Perl, Golang, preferably with experience using REST API interfaces
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
- Bachelor's Degree in a Science or Engineering program or equivalent experience
- Hands-on experience with containerization technologies and tools: OpenShift, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Kubernetes, Docker
- Software development and CI/CD tools: GIT, Subversion, Maven, Jenkins
- Experience using/developing against relational and nosql databases
- Significant exposure to the major public cloud providers (AWS, GCE and Azure)
- Familiarity with security practices and platforms (e.g. encryption, certificates, key management, oAuth, LDAP)
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We're committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers .
We're committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https:// www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2021. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity