Department: Graduate Program, Finance Stream Job Type: Global Recruitment Important Notice to Candidates: Early Submission for the 2024 Legal Associate Program
We appreciate your interest in the 2024 Legal Associate Program, and we welcome early submissions of expressions of interest. However, we want to provide clarity regarding the application process. Please take note of the following information:
- Assessment and Interview Schedule: Kindly be aware that our assessment and interview process for the 2024 Legal Associate Program will commence in February/March 2024.
We encourage you to refer to the annual recruitment process timeline outlined below for a more detailed overview:
2024 Legal Associate Program
- Acceptance of Applications: December 2023 to February 2024
- Application Deadline: Mid February 2024
- Selection Process: End-February to April
- Offer to Successful Candidates: April onwards
- Program Start / Onboarding: September 2024
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow-infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 106 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized at USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients' needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
AIIB's Legal Associate Program (LAP) was established with the objective of training young lawyers to work in-house on the Bank's legal needs for both private and public sector operations. It seeks to identify, hire, grow and develop young talents of the highest caliber and with a passion for international development.
The LAP will start with a two-year contract based in Beijing within the Legal Department (LEG), where the Legal Associates (LAs) engage in intensive training (on-the-job and in-classroom settings) on the fundamentals of lawyering at AIIB on development operations. It is a rotational program where the LAs will be assigned, in turn, to each of the Legal Department's three units-- Institutional and Administrative; Non-Sovereign-Backed Finance & Treasury Finance; and Sovereign-Backed Finance--thereby enabling them to gain experience in various fields of practice.
LAs will contribute to the work program of LEG's different units while building networks and knowledge across AIIB. They may also join field missions where needed to assist senior lawyers on the frontlines of AIIB operations, learning key aspects of the Bank's legal operational work, including engagement with AIIB clients.
LAs will receive intensive training on the policies, products and operations of AIIB to ensure they know how to implement solutions to operational challenges, mitigate legal risks in AIIB-financed operations and assist internal clients in preparing quality projects. LAs will also be given the opportunity to attend selected training programs on operational themes organized by the Human Resources Department. Selection Criteria and Eligibility
The program will target highly talented and promising candidates. Selection will be conducted on as wide a geographical basis as possible. To be eligible for the LAP, the candidates must:
- Have an advanced law degree (Master's/LLM/JD) from a recognized educational institution.
- Have a minimum of two years of full-time, relevant legal professional experience.
- Be admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
- Be fluent in English.
- Have passion for development and commitment to AIIB's mission.
In addition to the selection criteria, the LA must:
- Exhibit sufficient professional independence and maturity as well as discretion and sensitivity required for operating in a multicultural setting.
- Demonstrate strong legal knowledge to support drafting legal documents with limited supervision.
- Be able to identify and critically analyze legal issues and provide solutions.
- Be able to work well with diverse multi-cultural teams.
- Possess strong communication skills and the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join AIIB's mission to finance Infrastructure for Tomorrow, promote sustainable infrastructure investments and improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.