Equity Research Analyst, Active Alpha Team (AAT)
AVP/VP, Depending on Experience Level
Temasek is an active, long-term, investor guided by our purpose statement 'So Every Generation Prospers' . Founded in 1974, and head-quartered in Singapore, we have grown to be a global investor across 13 offices in 9 countries. We invest with tomorrow in mind and are committed to delivering sustainable value over the long-term, with returns above our risk-adjusted cost of capital.
The Active Alpha Team (AAT) is being newly formed with a mission to drive excellence in developed market public equity investing. This group will bring together existing team members focused on public markets, along with experienced new joiners who are motivated by an opportunity to help build a new, high-conviction, alpha-investing team. Key role description:
Opportunity for an experienced, entrepreneurial, equity research analyst to join a newly formed team, investing in developed market equities out of Singapore. We will consider candidates across the spectrum of industry sectors, and with different experience levels. We are looking to build a close-knit team, that is passionate about public equity investing and interested in contributing to the creation of a high-performance, collaborate and forward-thinking investment mentality.
Equity research analysts in the team will be assigned coverage of a sector, and be responsible for close, daily, tracking of their companies. Investment recommendations need to be actively maintained, and communicated concisely in high quality written research notes. The role will work closely with the AAT PMs, Director of Research and other sector analysts to present ideas within a rigorous investment process. Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- 5-10 years of experience in direct equity research. Proven track record of independent thinking, and generation of proprietary, value-added, investment recommendations. Ability to maintain active coverage of multiple stocks within a country or sector
- Quantitative, with strong fundamental equity analysis skills and a knowledge of different valuation techniques
- Articulate, with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to pitch and debate investment theses within team, and to build strong relationships with investee company management teams
- High integrity, strong emotional intelligence, empathy, and a commitment to Temasek's corporate MERITT values
- Team player, who can build and maintain strong and effective relationships within the team, with peers and also with other departments managing public equity positions across the Firm
- Progressive buy-side experience, at either a long-only or hedge fund
- Active research coverage for multiple developed market stocks within sector:
- Intensive research of your industry and sector. Keeping abreast of key developments daily, and staying in touch with management teams, and buy-side and industry contacts to stay on top of all major developments
- Cultivation of proprietary investment recommendations, and articulation of views in high quality, concise, research notes
- Close monitoring of markets, with adjustment of investment theses as may be required by stock price movements, or new information
- Presentation of recommendations, with open-mindedness to incorporate feedback, to AAT Portfolio Managers, Director of Research and other team members
- Periodic travel required: AAT is based in Singapore, but will hold a developed market portfolio, so periodic travel required to network with key companies and the sector ecosystem.
- Investment process and governance: Work with AAT PMs in communicating the sector strategy and individual stock theses.
- Teamwork and Communication:
- Brainstorm with PMs, Director of Research and other sector analysts - be willing to defend, debate and challenge ideas constructively as part of the team's investment process
- Respond to research requests from within the investment network and be a collaboration catalyst between AAT and Temasek's various sector and country teams
- Compliance, ethics and culture:
- Support adherence to regulatory, compliance, ethical and legal responsibilities for the equity research team
- Serving as a role model with these behaviours
- Be a strong culture carrier and support firmwide initiatives in building a great place to work