Temasek is a global investment company with a net portfolio value of S$381B (~US$280B) as of 31 March 2021. Its three roles as an Investor, Institution and Steward, as defined in the Temasek Charter, shape Temasek's ethos to do well, do right and do good. Temasek actively seeks sustainable solutions to address present and future challenges, through investment and other opportunities that help to bring about a better, smarter and more sustainable world. For more information on Temasek, please visit www.temasek.com.sg .
ESG Investment Management (ESG IM) is part of the Portfolio Strategy & Risk Group (PSRG) that provides guidance on our strategic direction and portfolio objectives. ESG IM partners closely with teams across the Investment Group and the broader institution to advance ESG as a core engine across Temasek's global investments to build a resilient and forward-looking portfolio, which has sustainability at the core. Specifically, ESG IM's focus areas are as follows:
- Deepening and expanding ESG integration across the investment process to both manage risks and drive sustainable value creation across the portfolio
- Integrating climate risks and opportunities, strengthening climate readiness of investees, and advancing portfolio decarbonisation (Climate Action)
- Harnessing ESG investment insights and originating, evaluating, and executing new ESG investment strategies and strategic partnerships
- Strengthening ESG data, analytics and tools that support investment decisions, monitoring and reporting ESG metrics, and enhancing ESG capabilities and best practices
ESG IM is seeking to hire an experienced professional to drive Climate Action across the Temasek portfolio. The individual will work closely with the MD of ESG IM and key groups across the organisation including the Sustainability Group (SG), Investment Group (IG), and Portfolio Development Group (PDG) to drive the implementation of climate transition initiatives for the firm's core portfolio holdings in Singapore and around the world. This includes shaping and executing Temasek's climate transition strategy, engaging with portfolio companies as an active owner on their decarbonisation, and staying ahead of and informing industry and market best practices as well as net zero standards for the investor community. Core Responsibilities
- Chart climate transition roadmaps aligned with our net zero goals: Inform the decarbonisation roadmap for key sectors and markets that are applicable for our core portfolio companies particularly in hard to abate sectors. This will include understanding scienced based targets, policy and technology roadmaps, and evolving market drivers and net zero protocols. The roadmap will inform our interim target setting, strategic decarbonisation opportunities, best practices in managing climate risk and resiliency, and engagement with our portfolio companies
- Engage portfolio companies to accelerate their decarbonisation and long-term resiliency: Support and drive the engagement with key portfolio companies on their decarbonisation roadmap to strengthen transition readiness and long-term sustainability. Also, leverage resources and networks to build scalable solutions and toolkits that provide a comprehensive and systematic approach to engaging and managing our diverse portfolio on climate risks and opportunities.
- Harness best practices from the market and decarbonisation capabilities across the Temasek ecosystem: Stay ahead of best practices and standards for decarbonisation and the net zero pathway including from leading coalitions and practitioners. Identify and harness capabilities across portfolio companies and our broader ecosystem that can be help accelerate decarbonisation and bring synergies across our portfolio.
These responsibilities will require the individual to closely partner with key teams in the organisation including IG, PDG and SUG as well as build and nurture critical relationships in the Temasek ecosystem of portfolio companies, platforms, and expert networks. Professional Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Business, Finance, Public Policy, Sustainability, or related disciplines; Master's degree or higher is preferred
- 7-10 years of work experience in finance, consulting, and/or non-profit organizations with hands-on and in-depth knowledge of climate related topics and decarbonization roadmaps. Experience engaging directly with companies and investors is a plus, particularly in hard-to-abate sectors
- Technical understanding of corporate GHG measurement and target setting, including methodologies for setting Science Based Targets. Knowledge of best practices, standards and initiatives relevant for investors, such as TCFD, SBTi, NZ AoA, and TPI
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to navigate complexity, influence and build consensus
- Strong sense of purpose and intellectual curiosity and passion for climate related themes with ability to inspire and catalyse others to action
- Strong team player with intercultural awareness and ability to work across geographies and diverse teams
- Strong communication, writing and presentation skills
- Strong work ethic with demonstrated track record of initiating, driving, and executing across multiple initiatives
- Flexible and adaptable with ability to work hours that extend across time zones
As an active global investor, and a forward looking institution, Temasek hires and develops its people consistent with our MERITT values of Meritocracy, Excellence, Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Trust. We believe there is not only value in diversity, but the cross fertilisation of experiences and ideas across geographies, and the ability to connect the diverse dots, has become one of our key strengths which we can build on as we continue to transform and evolve, and aim for a new Temasek 2030. Applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds are encouraged.