Software Developer - Alexa Answering
DESCRIPTION Alexa is the ground-breaking, cloud-based intelligent agent that powers the Amazon Echo and other devices providing voice forward interfaces. Our teams create the science and technology for language understanding and automated question answering behind Alexa. Our goal is to delight our customers by delivering the world's best voice based personal assistant. We've solved many complex problems to get to where we are today, but there are still plenty of challenges ahead of us, and Alexa is getting smarter every day. We believe voice will fundamentally improve the way people will interact with technology. If you do to, then come and join us!
We're part of a huge research and engineering effort on Alexa, our primary focus combines natural language processing, acquiring large volumes of structured knowledge, and building autonomous machine reasoning to enable customers to get answers to questions in the most natural way possible.
In the Answer group we build low latency systems to reason over semantic knowledge at scale, we're responsible for answering customer questions, and generating a natural and fluent answers in multiple languages. This is a complex and cutting-edge technology at truly global scale; there are tens of millions of Alexa devices out there and we see traffic from all of them.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will invent, design and build software in ambiguous complex spaces. You will be working on a team building innovative solutions to better answer customer's questions. You will design, implement and deliver software. You'll resolve the root cause of endemic problems and seek out improved operational excellence approaches to the services you operate. You'll be able to drive consensus and resolve discordant views with peers, finding the best way forward, and influencing others to follow you.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Coding, a lot. You'll solve complex software problems with scalable, extensible solutions. Effectively communicating your ideas to achieve the right outcome for your team and customers. You will seek diverse perspectives, listen to feedback, and be willing to change direction if it creates a better outcome.
• Engaging with internal customers to understand business problems, to identify the best solution to them. Making technical trade-off decisions, weighing pros and cons of solutions.
• Actively participating in the hiring and professional development of colleagues.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
• Software engineering experience, preferably in Java
• Strong verbal and written communication skills across all levels of the organization, with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Experience in building high-performance, highly-available, scalable distributed systems.
• Knowledge of AWS products including EC2 (with VPC & ELB), DynamoDB, S3
• Robust project design, planning and execution skills.