Canada Life Asset Management manages over £41.9bn in fixed income, global equities, UK property and multi-asset solutions. Our investment options are designed to support our investors and their clients in meeting their long-term objectives. Our solutions
Each of our offerings has been built for a purpose, whether it sits at the core of a portfolio to provide long-term growth or to offer access into a specific global market. Our 40-year plus history as asset managers means we have the expertise to provide high quality multi-asset and risk-profiled solutions as well as attractive equity, fixed income, alternative funds, and real estate finance. Our heritage
Our parent company, Great-West Lifeco, is a financially strong and stable global organisation, with total assets under administration of £1,341bn. We also have more than 31 million customers worldwide. As the oldest Canadian life assurance company, Great-West Lifeco's foundations trace back to 1847 - meaning we've been helping our customers plan for the future for more than 170 years. Our team
Canada Life Asset Management has over 100 colleagues and includes more than 50 experienced investment professionals, with almost 20 years' average industry experience and ten years' average tenure at Canada Life Asset Management. Job Summary
What You'll Do
- A Trading position with responsibility for executing deals for all asset classes (Equities, Funds of funds, Foreign Exchange, Fixed Income and Derivatives). Annual trading turnover in excess of £35bn which must be managed within best execution principles and in line with policy to ensure better outcomes for all customers and compliance with relevant regulatory requirements.
- Understand flow and nature of all derivative orders being executed to be able to provide advice and views on how to execute orders optimally.
- Responsibility for achieving fairness and direct value for all customers through best execution/pricing. The function manages the risk of material financial detriment for customers.
- Manage & maintain strong industry relations to gain better access to high touch service with brokers, investment banks and fund issuers.
Who You Are
- Act as a focal point for derivatives and oversee derivative order flow.
- Work collaboratively with other traders to provide the asset management team market colour, trade execution, trade strategy, liquidity sourcing, and ensure trade settlement on all execution.
- Executing deals for all asset classes (Equities, Funds of funds, Foreign Exchange, Fixed Income and Derivatives) within best execution principles and in line with policy to ensure better outcomes for all customers whilst ensuring the trading desk is compliant with all market regulations.
- Collaborate with portfolio managers and provide value added insights to the team on market risks, idea generation, respond to challenges and drive performance through effective trade execution and position management.
- Act as a lead with external/middle/back office and ensure all trading related queries are addressed in a timely fashion. Provide technical expertise to resolve issues and errors and manage all parties in the dealing and settlement process to ensure the best outcomes for clients. Manage execution risks at all times to minimise financial loss for clients. Manage relevant risk event & governance processes as appropriate.
- Strive to achieve value for customers at all times in respect of all associated trading costs. Produce timely Transaction Cost Analysis (TCA) and formally present to best execution committee quarterly and demonstrate best execution has been achieved.
- Continuously develop the company's dealing infrastructure, minimising execution cost and enhancing execution capabilities to keep up with industry standards & developments.
This role is highly technical and requires a broad, established industry knowledge including venues, regulatory understanding, complexed execution strategies, different geographies and exchanges. In addition, a high level of commitment and experience of asset markets and their behaviour in different circumstances is essential for good customer outcomes.
The role requires broad knowledge of all major markets but in addition will require technical knowledge of derivatives.
A broad technical knowledge of all market participants as well as middle and back-office systems and settlement processes is essential to resolve any errors as they occur which in turn goes with very strong communication and interpersonal skills. Qualifications
What you'll like about working here
- Degree in Business/ Economics background
- Investment management Certificate (IMC) or equivalent Securities Investment Institute Qualification
As a Canada Life colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You'll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development. Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences