Senior Software Development Engineer
DESCRIPTION Are you looking for your next exciting development role?
Do you want to work for a technology company that is customer obsessed, values its employees and where every day is Day 1? - Then look no further!
Amazon's Prime Video is a premium on-demand video entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choice in what to watch from popular Prime Original TV shows (made by Amazon Studios) such as The Grand Tour and Jack Ryan to Prime Original Movies like the Oscar-winning Manchester by the Sea and The Salesman. The service also offers TV shows that are exclusively available for Prime members in each country such as American Gods, MR ROBOT and Outlander, and live events including US Open tennis matches, NFL since 2018 and Premier League games since 2019.
Beyond this content exclusivity, the service further differentiates from other video-on-demand services by offering Prime members the opportunity to subscribe to 60+ channels like Discovery, HBO, Eurosport Player and Hayu and hundreds of thousands of additional titles to watch instantly with no extra apps to download or long-term contracts.
We work in a dynamic and exciting environment where innovating on behalf of our customers is at the heart of everything we do. If this sounds exciting to you, please read on.
Who We Are
Video Commerce Checkout UI team build the user interface and widgets responsible for delivering the full checkout experience for Amazon's Prime Video. Whether customers are looking to subscribe to Prime Video, Channels or simply purchase or rent a movie or TV show, they see and interact with our UI - in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide across devices. Our UI platform handles millions of transactions every year, requiring a high quality bar, whilst allowing us to have a huge customer impact with new UI experiments, innovation and creativity.
How We Work
Our pizza-team believe in transparent communication, discuss design ideas and have an Agile mindset, developing processes around this, together, as we grow. We expect everyone to engage in discussions and want to continue developing an innovative culture where every idea is listened to. The team owns the end-to-end delivery including supporting our customers.
We are currently working on a number of exciting customer-facing and next gen architectural projects. With a team of highly experienced and like-minded individuals, we need someone to help influence, shape our architecture vision and technically lead the team into the next evolution of checkout experiences for our customers. This is a full stack role, working on both client and server side components. Our new platform stretches the traditional notions of scale, even for Amazon! A successful candidate will have an established background in developing software for consumer-facing products, a strong technical ability, excellent organizational skills, great communication skills, a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, and, help other engineers to grow.
What You'll Do
• Solve a technical endemic problem in an ambiguous space with a huge customer/architecture impact
• Develop and have input into the design of the architecture used for both our user interface and backend services
• Work with key stakeholders throughout Prime Video and beyond at Amazon
• Help shape our technology stack now and into the future
• Coach and mentor team members to help with their career growth
• Hire and develop best engineers
What You'll bring
• Proven technical leadership to layout technical architecture in an ambiguous area and deliver through the team
• Strong experience in leading teams in systems design & architecture, including leading design reviews for your team and/or others
• Experience leading and influencing professional software engineering best practices for your team and others, across the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code & design reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, security, and operations
• Experience mentoring software engineers on your team to successfully execute on their deliverables, and achieve their longer term career aspirations
• Experience working directly with customers, senior management, and/or business/product teams to influence your team's roadmap & prioritization and delivery plan
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Computer Science & software engineering fundamentals in algorithms, data-structures, object-oriented design, efficiency, concurrency & performance optimization.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Experience with cloud computing on AWS, and large-scale, high-availability distributed architectures that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Experience with frontend development utilising React and TypeScript
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between