PIMCO is a global leader in active fixed income. With our launch in 1971 in Newport Beach, California, PIMCO introduced investors to a total return approach to fixed income investing. In the 50+ years since, we have worked relentlessly to help millions of investors pursue their objectives - regardless of shifting marketing conditions. As active investors, our goal is not just to find opportunities, but to create them. To this end, we remain firmly committed to the pursuit of our mission: delivering superior investment returns, solutions, and service to our clients.
Since 1971, our people have shaped our organization through a high-performance inclusive culture, in which we celebrate diverse thinking. We invest in our people and strive to imprint our CORE values of Collaboration, Openness, Responsibility and Excellence. We believe each of us is here to help others succeed and this has led to PIMCO being recognized as an innovator, industry thought leader and trusted advisor to our clients.
The Alternative Funds at PIMCO total approximately $159 billion across multiple strategies and multiple vehicle types (hedge fund and private equity). The Alternatives Funds Finance Team runs the overall financial accounting and control, tax structuring and compliance, operations, and investment partner and third party service provider oversight. The Team works directly with Product Management, Account Management and Portfolio Management groups of PIMCO and reports to the Executive Office.
The Team is seeking to add a dynamic professional with strong investment company and/or alternative asset accounting experience to the Financial Control Team. This team member will be responsible for the finance and accounting of illiquid investment activity across our Private Equity and Hedge Funds. The role is an extension of the existing team, providing direct support for investment activity, along with a broader responsibility for accounting and reporting for Alternative Funds. The illiquid investments include commercial and residential real estate equity and debt, bank loans, residential whole loans, subordinated debt, and preferred and common equity in privately-held companies, as well as structured products and other unique securities. The role requires a highly proficient accountant with alternatives experience and product exposure to handle the complexities of diversified hybrid funds. The PIMCO Alternatives business continues to evolve and the right resource is needed to handle this change and control for information requirements to meet the ever growing demands of both internal and external partners. This is an outstanding opportunity to join a growing team at one of the largest asset managers in the world. Responsibilities:
- Support the investment closing process for illiquid assets focusing on the functions of finance, treasury, accounting and reporting. Collaborate and communicate effectively across multiple partners, including portfolio management, tax and legal professionals; in addition to the fund controller, operations team and administrator
- Monitor and maintain illiquid investments for financial accounting and reporting, including complex security accounting and income recognition, valuation and performance.
- Work with the tax and legal teams to assist in the design and set-up of investment structures for private equity, real estate and other illiquid investments
- Communicate effectively with the fund accounting administrator and other partners to identify and seek issues as they materialize
- Lead the structured financing waterfall process, which involves coordination among the asset and financing portfolio management team, financing counterparties, agent banks, and fund administrator. Collateral primarily consists of residential and consumer whole loans.
- Handle the fund treasury and projecting future fund cash flows for the liquidity management process (including, capital calls, distributions and coordination with the financing team)
- Contribute to the quarterly close process for certain Alternative Funds with exposure to both public and private investments across commercial, residential and specialty finance asset classes
- Contribute to the financial information for key client deliverables (investor reports, capital statements and annual audited financial statements)
- Contribute to the management and oversight the funds' administrator through SLAs/critical metrics and site visits
- Assist with fund expense process and oversight
- Contribute to the external audit, regulatory reporting and other reporting requirements
- Oversee the completion of various regulatory, debt covenant compliance, and other reporting requirements
- Utilize internal and external resources to respond to client, prospective client, and client consultant requests for information in a timely and accurate manner
- Lead the coordination and project management of various Alternative Funds Finance team projects and initiatives
Required candidate personal characteristics:
- Target range of 3-5 years of experience in financial accounting, audit or finance function for an alternative investment manager with exposure to credit, real estate, private equity funds or hedge funds
- Ability to implement accounting and reporting for investment structures for different asset classes
- Desire to understand transaction process flows and requirements and develop processes to tackle complexities as they arise
- Exposure to private equity and hedge fund structures
- Experience with external audit processes and procedures
- Knowledge of accounting principles including US GAAP and Investment Company Accounting
- Bachelor's degree with a major in Accounting or Finance
- Active or Desired CPA license
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
- Good quantitative/analytical and problem solving skills
- Highly organized, proficient at time management / project management
- Keen desire to learn and quickly absorbs new knowledge
- Excellent written /verbal communication skills
- Balance a sharp focus on details with an awareness of the bigger picture
- Cultivate a sense of teamwork, assisting others when needed/required
PIMCO follows a total compensation approach when rewarding employees which includes a base salary and a discretionary bonus. Base salary is the fixed component of compensation that is determined by core job responsibilities, relevant experience, internal level, and market factors. The discretionary bonus is used to award performance and therefore is determined by company, business, team, and individual performance.
Salary Range: $ 80,000.00 - $ 116,000.00
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Statement
PIMCO recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, national origin, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and expression), age, military or veteran status, disability (physical or mental), any factor prohibited by law, and as such affirms in policy and practice to support and promote the concept of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action, in accordance with all applicable federal, state, provincial and municipal laws. The company also prohibits discrimination on other basis such as medical condition, or marital status under applicable laws.
Applicants with Disabilities
PIMCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, including veterans, in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system due to a disability and you would like to request an accommodation, you may contact us at 949-720-7744 and leave a message. This is a dedicated line designed exclusively to assist job seekers with disabilities to apply online. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.