The Payroll Accountant will be responsible for the payroll accounting and reporting for CME Group payrolls, working closely with the Payroll leads and Management Accounting team, to provide the critical link of the payroll output to the accounting and reporting.
The role will consolidate the accounting processes related to payroll across the Global Finance Operations team, taking ownership of the process, recommending, and implementing improvements. Maintaining robust controls and keeping procedures up to date will be an essential part of the role. Key Accountabilities:
Payroll accounting and reporting
- Responsible for monthly accounting of CME Group payrolls in accordance with the month end timetable.
- Consolidate all payroll reporting requirements from the Global management accounting team.
- Review and support Global payroll accounting processes.
- Ensure balance sheet reconciliations are completed on time and to a high standard. Reporting, escalation and resolution of items on a timely basis.
- Assess and develop reporting processes implementing improvements to existing process.
- Accounting and reporting for compensation and other staff costs.
- Review and update procedures including adding controls and reporting into existing processes.
- Develop a thorough understanding of payroll components to ensure accounting is correct.
- Build excellent relationships, coordinating with payroll, finance operations and business partners to ensure all payroll risks, issues and queries are identified and resolved in a timely manner.
- Responsible for liaising with audit during the interim and year end audits, ensuring all audit queries dealt with on a timely basis and with adequate support.
- Fulfil any additional / ad hoc duties as required to meet the needs of the business.
- All roles within payroll require working closely with other finance departments so you will need to demonstrate ability to communicate effectively to successfully.
- Actively participate in weekly status meetings addressing any current issues.
- Help to drive future efficiencies and effectiveness by actively participating in Team meetings with an aim towards unified goal of reducing close cycle times and improving quality assurance.
- Provide support to the wider Payroll team where required, providing back-up and cover.
The role will require significant interaction across different departments and varied seniority levels, therefore an individual who can demonstrate flourishing in environments working both alongside and for a variety of different stakeholder groups will be at a significant advantage. SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Workday experience advantageous.
- Bachelor's in Accounting; CPP and/or CPA path preferred, not required
- Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and advanced Excel
- Analytical ability and Problem Solving. Able to understand complex situations, to identify underlying patterns or issues amongst data or between events and to generate effective solutions.
- Technical Expertise. Maintains strong technical skills in own area of expertise ensuring attention to detail. Keeps up to date with current best practice and partners with the business to leverage their expertise. Strives to deliver high quality and accurate results.
- Relationship Management. Builds trust and credibility amongst work colleagues and external contacts through treating people with honesty, integrity and respect. Works across departmental and business lines to achieve positive outcomes.
- Teamwork. Works collaboratively as part of a team to achieve the team's goals. Provides or follows direction as appropriate and shares credit with fellow team members.
- Personal Organization. Works systematically, manages own and others' time and plans to effectively accomplish work goals.
- Communication Skills. Expresses ideas effectively in both written and spoken communications. Presents thoughts clearly, logically and succinctly, choosing language suited to the needs of the audience. Asks clear, thoughtful questions to aid own and others' understanding.
- Initiative. The aptitude to demonstrate a proactive approach in identifying smarter and effective solutions for agreed outcomes.
CME Group: Where Futures Are Made
CME Group (www.cmegroup.com) is the world's leading derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.